2017-18 Calendar Development Process
The calendar planning process began in November 2016 with discussions in cabinet and campus leadership team meetings about the needs for the 2017-18 calendar. An initial community survey for feedback on the 2016-17 calendar as well as suggestions for the 2017-18 calendar was launched on December 5, 2016.
The District received comments from 47 respondents, which were shared with cabinet, and several draft versions of a calendar were created based on the needs shared by administrators and the feedback from the survey. A second calendar survey was launched on January 11, 2017 and received over 431 responses. Regarding preferred start dates for the 2017-18 school year, respondents were split evenly (47% - 47%) between August 14th and August 21st options with 4% preferring the traditional (4th Monday) August 28th start date. When asked which winter break configuration was preferred, 62% of respondents selected a later start to Christmas break including a full week in December and a full week in January. 38% of survey respondents preferred the traditional two full weeks in December for winter break.
On January 17, 2017 a calendar committee of 15 teachers, parents, administrators and staff members met to review survey data, feedback solicited from campuses and to discuss the proposed options. The committee submitted their suggested calendar format to cabinet for consideration and based on their recommendation, the 2017-18 school calendar was presented to the Board and approved on March 20, 2017.
Changes for 2017-18
- The first day of school is August 21, 2017
- The last day of school is May 31, 2018
- The 1st Semester will contain 78 1/2 days dived into two marking periods. The semester will end before Christmas Break.
- The 2nd Semester will contain two marking periods and will be slightly longer (93 1/2 days) than the 1st semester. Because several days are used for state testing in the spring the instructional class time will be comparable.
- October 6 - 9 is fair day/fall break for all students and staff
- Christmas break begins on Friday, December 22, 2017 to allow for the completion of semester exams before the break. 62% of survey responses requested a later start to Christmas Break. The break still consists of 2 full weeks plus one day.
- April 2, 2018 is the only built in bad weather make-up day. This day will not be needed to make-up for lost instruction time unless the District closes for more than four days during 2017-18 due to inclement weather.
- December 21, 2017 and May 31, 2018 will be early release days for all campuses.
- October 27, December 1 and February 19 will be data days/professional development days for staff. No school for students on these days.